Transferring your website to us can be a straightforward process with minimal to no downtime if done correctly. To do so, you only need a little preparation and allow for about 3-4 days to overlap between your current host and us. Your primary concern is making sure you have control of your domain names. This is paramount as you will need to be able to change the nameservers for the domain name.
1. Purchase a new hosting package with us.
2. Login to your new hosting account and upload your website or website backup to our server and configure any email addresses you need/use via our servers IP address.
3. Once the new server is tested and functions as required via the IP address, log in to your domain name registrar interface and update the DNS nameservers to:
3a. (Optional) If you have a high-traffic, database driven website, it is wise to setup remote access to the database on your old hosting server during the DNS propagation process. This ensures that your database stays in sync and up to date all on one server.
4. Continue to check your email on both the old and new hosting servers via IP address to ensure no communications are lost during the DNS change.
5. After about 72 hours, the DNS change should be complete, and if all testing shows your new account is fully functional, you can close the old account.
5a. (Optional) If you chose to use remote access listed in step 3a, you would need to shut down your site using a temporary webpage or to let your users know there is some work in progress. You will then need to transfer your database from your old server, setup your connection to use the "local" server's database.
Following the steps stated above will allow you to transfer your site with minimal if no downtime. This will also ensure that neither emails nor database updates are lost in the transfer process.
If you have any questions or need help with the transfer process, please open a support ticket, and one of our staff members will assist you.
- 0 Users Found This Useful